Mould is a common problem that many homeowners face. Not only does it look unsightly, but it can also pose health risks and cause structural damage if left untreated. And that is where mould cleaners in Melbourne come in. They help you get to the root cause of the issue and provide lasting solutions.
As experts say, getting your home treated can help you get rid of the mould, but you must take measures to ensure that it does not recur. But how to do that?
We consulted with experienced mould cleaners in Melbourne to gather insights on how to keep your home mould-free. So, keep reading to discover these valuable strategies and regain a healthy and mould-free living space.
What Causes Mould?
Mould is a type of fungus that grows in moist environments. Professional mould cleaners in Melbourne state that mould usually thrives in conditions with excessive moisture and organic material for it to feed on.
If you recently spotted mould growth around your home, here are some common causes that could have caused it:
- Moisture and Humidity: Professional mould cleaners in Melbourne observe that mould thrives in environments with high moisture levels. Excessive humidity, often above 50%, provides the necessary moisture for mould to grow. Areas with poor ventilation or high humidity, such as bathrooms, kitchens, and basements, are particularly susceptible to mould growth.
- Water Leaks: Experts state that any form of water intrusion, say leaking pipes, roofs, or plumbing, creates a moist environment that promotes mould growth. Even small, unnoticed leaks behind walls or under sinks can lead to mould infestation over time.
- Flooding and Water Damage: Flooding or significant water damage, whether from natural disasters or plumbing mishaps, can quickly create ideal conditions for mould to flourish. Mould cleaners in Melbourne note that mould can take hold if the affected areas are not properly dried and cleaned within 24-48 hours.
- Poor Ventilation: Inadequate airflow and ventilation prevent moisture from escaping, leading to increased humidity and mould growth. Closed-off spaces, lack of air circulation, or obstructed vents can contribute to stagnant air and mould-friendly environments.
- Organic Materials: Mould requires organic materials to grow and thrive. Professional mould cleaners in Melbourne observe that common household materials such as wood, drywall, carpet, fabric, and even dust provide a food source for mould. If these materials become damp or moist, mould can feed and colonise them.
- Lack of Sunlight: Mould usually grows in the dark, poorly lit areas. Sunlight has natural antimicrobial properties and helps to reduce moisture levels. Lack of exposure to sunlight can create conditions conducive to mould growth.
- Poor Maintenance: Neglecting regular maintenance, such as failing to fix leaks promptly or neglecting to clean and dry surfaces, can contribute to mould growth. Regular upkeep and addressing issues promptly can help prevent mould problems.
Step-by-Step Guide to Tackling Mould Growth on Your Property
Mould cleaners in Melbourne observe that its removal requires a systematic approach. So, we asked some experts to share with us how to effectively combat mould and maintain a healthy living environment in your home.
Identify the Source
Mould cleaners in Melbourne state that before you begin the removal process, it’s crucial to identify and address the source of moisture that is promoting mould growth. Mould thrives in damp environments, so they recommend checking for leaky pipes, roof leaks, or poor ventilation. They further state that addressing the root cause can help you get rid of the mould on your property and prevent it from recurring.
When dealing with mould, cleaners in Melbourne state that when dealing with a mould problem on your property, you must take appropriate measures to protect yourself. This is because mould exposure can trigger allergic reactions and respiratory problems, so take necessary precautions to ensure your safety. So, you should wear protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and a mask to avoid direct contact with mould spores.
Dry and Ventilate
The next and most important step in the mould removal process is thoroughly drying out the affected area. For this, mould cleaners in Melbourne suggest using fans and dehumidifiers or opening your windows to increase airflow and reduce moisture levels. They further note that mould cannot grow without moisture, so effective drying and proper ventilation are crucial in the mould removal process.
Remove Mouldy Materials
When removing mould, you must check if the mould has penetrated porous materials like drywall or carpet. If that is the case, removing and replacing them may be necessary. Mould can easily grow within these materials and is difficult to eradicate. So, mould cleaners in Melbourne state that you must ensure proper disposal of mould-infested items to prevent spreading spores to unaffected areas.
Prevent Future Mould Growth
Once you have successfully removed mould from your Melbourne home, you must take measures to prevent it from recurring. So, here mould cleaners in Melbourne share a few tips to keep mould at bay:
- Keep humidity levels below 50% by using dehumidifiers or air conditioners.
- Fix any leaks or water damage promptly.
- Improve ventilation in areas prone to moisture, such as bathrooms and kitchens.
- Clean and dry surfaces regularly, especially in high-moisture areas.
- Regularly inspect and maintain your home’s roof, gutters, and plumbing to prevent water intrusion.
Simple Home Remedies to Get Rid of Mould
When it comes to cleaning mould, natural solutions can be just as effective as harsh chemicals. These remedies are cost-effective and often use items you already have in your pantry. So, some of the things in your pantry that you can use to remove mould include:
- White vinegar
- Baking Soda
- Tea Tree Oil
- Hydrogen Peroxide
- Lemon Juice
Consider Opting for the Services of a Professional Mould Cleaner in Melbourne
While you can resolve some mould issues using DIY methods, severe cases may require professional help. But with so many specialist mould and gutter cleaners in Melbourne, whom should you work with?
We recommend Exterior Clean Melbourne.
They are a team of highly trained and experienced exterior and gutter cleaners in Melbourne, offering excellent cleaning services for residential and commercial establishments. Here, they have the expertise and equipment to tackle extensive mould infestations effectively, and they use highly effective methods to identify hidden mould, provide a thorough cleanup, and offer advice on preventing future mould growth.