Want to cut down on expenses associated with hiring mold remediation services Portland Oregon? The cost-effective way to do that is to prevent it from growing in the first place. This is a vital step for every homeowner who resides in mold-prone areas. You can achieve this by cleaning your home regularly, allowing for free flow of air and dehumidifying areas prime for mold growth.
Other options include
- Regularize humidity levels in your home. You can use your air conditioners or dehumidifiers.
- Bleach your bathroom frequently
- Install exhaust fans in bathrooms and cooking areas.
- Leave your basement and bathrooms carpet free, since they are highly vulnerable to mold growth.
- Do not leave your gutters dirty. Clean it regularly.
- Periodically check laundry rooms, crawl spaces and cabinetry beneath sinks for mold dampness
This might seem like a lot of work to do, but it will pay off in the end. Apart from the cost savings, these acts protects the health of occupants in the home.
What to Do After a Home Flood
Being mindful of this list above could help you save thousands of dollars over the course of your homeownership. So, what do you do if you experience flooding in your home? You need to act fast to prevent mold growth in the home or you’d have to call mold remediation service experts to come fix the issue.
- Remove any standing water as soon as you’ve photographed the damage
- All soaked items should be kept in an open area to dry out.
- Keep the room ventilated. Open doors and windows
- Run a dehumidifier to get rid of excessive moisture in the room
- Clean, sanitize and disinfect the area.
If this is too much a job for you, then you should consider reaching out to professional mold remediation services Portland Oregon. With these experts, rest assured that your property will be restored to look just as new.
Detecting Mold with Your Senses
You can actually identify mold before it spreads to other parts of the house. The larger the infestation, the costlier it is to fix the problem. Mold can grow anywhere including beneath the carpet, in the bathroom, behind your walls, you name it. Detecting mold doesn’t have to be difficult. You can do this using your senses of smell and sight
Sense of Smell
Mold has a distinct musty scent. The smell grows stronger in areas where the mold is growing. However, if you smell mold after turning on the air conditioning unit, odds are high that mold is in that system.
Sometimes, you can smell mold but can’t see it. if this happens, then you should check inconspicuous places for mold growth including under the carpet or appliance, or behind a wall. At this juncture, the expertise of mold remediation services Portland Oregon is required.
Mold growth not only gives off a distinct smell but also come in different color. However, it is important to note that mold can often hide in plain sight.
A humid area is prone to mold growth. If you are taking up a new home, this is one factor that you need to check.